Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Book Review: Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

Title: Crescendo
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
ISBN: 978-1-4169-8943-1
Publisher: Simon & Schuster, Inc.
Pub. Date: October 2010
Genre: YA/Romance/Supernatural
Pages:  H-432
Rating: 3 Kisses

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com): Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it: a mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous guardian angel. But, despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic. He's more elusive than ever and even worse, he's started spending time with Nora's arch-enemy, Marcie Millar.

Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Path hadn’t been acting so distant. Even with Scott's totally infuriating attitude Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feeling that he's hiding something.

Haunted by images of her murdered father, and questioning whether her nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death, Nora puts herself increasingly in dangerous situations as she desperately searches for answers. But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts

My Ramblings and Reveries:  Crescendo begins shortly after the events of Hush Hush.  Patch is now Nora’s guardian angel and their relationship is starting to move forward.  Well, that is until Nora confesses her love to Patch.  Instead of saying “I love you” back, he quickly drives away leaving Nora feeling hurt and rejected.  Determined not to dwell to much on what happened she buries herself in her studies for summer school, which she happens to be taking alongside Marcie, who loves to remind Nora that her father is dead.  Patch seems to be spending a lot of time with Marcie, knowing how much Nora hates her.  When Nora confronts him about it, he becomes evasive, not giving her an answer.  When Scott, Nora’s childhood “friend” has moves into town.  He takes an interest in spending time with Nora.  To piss Patch off, Nora starts spending time with Scott as well as pulling reckless stunts, including scaling a roof and stealing a car.
Everything in Nora’s life is starting to fall apart.  I actually felt really bad for her.  I’m surprised she didn’t have some sort of mental breakdown.  Between seeing her father walking around town to managing to be in the middle of a feud among the fallen angels, archangels, and nephilim, Nora has a lot on her mind.  Her romance with Patch also has become forbidden, leaving them in a Romeo and Juliet situation-which is kind of romantic, I think. 
Even though I think Becca Fitzpatrick wrote a great book and I’m definitely reading the 3rd one, I still don’t like Patch all too much.  Although I did like him more in Crescendo than I did in Hush Hush.  He’s too sketchy and seriously needs to start being completely open with Nora.  I loved the use of motivation in this series.  Characters are so flat without it.  Each character, even the obscure ones, have motivation backing up their choices.  This makes the pop up surprises and plot twists all the more fun because then you’re like “OMG! I can’t believe that happened!....Oh.  Now I see, of course.”  Scott creeped me out from the beginning, even though his character surprised me at the end.  I loved how Vee kept calling him “Scotty the potty” and “Scotty the hottie.”  I would love to have a best friend like Vee.  She is hilarious.  
Crescendo’s climactic ending had me on the edge of my seat.  Just when I thought it was all over and the last page would read “The End,” Becca Fitzpatrick pulled the strings that brought the curtain down a few minutes later, leaving us with a cliffhanger.  That last page had me reeling with questions.  Now I will have to wait until Silence comes out to find out what happens next. 




Book Trailer(s) and Fan Music Video(s):




Book Playlist(s):

Click Here to see/listen to Becca Fitzpatrick's Official Playlist




Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones






1 comment:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Awesome review! Had to skim it a bit since I have yet to read it! But thinking I need to up it on my TBR pile! Or maybe arrange it to finish just before Silence!

Thanks for the warning about the cliffhanger ending!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...