Saturday, February 12, 2011

Book Review: Glimmerglass by Jenna Black

Title: Glimmerglass
Author: Jenna Black
Series: Faeriewalker #1
ISBN: 978-0-312-57593-9
Publisher: St. Martin’s Griffin
Genre: Paranormal/Romance/YA/Urban Fantasy
Pages: P-294

Synopsis (from Goodreads.com):  It’s all she’s ever wanted to be, but it couldn’t be further from her grasp… Dana Hathaway doesn’t know it yet, but she’s in big trouble.  When her alcoholic mom shows up at her voice recital drunk, again, Dana decides she’s had enough and runs away to find her mysterious father in Avalon: the only place on Earth where the regular, everyday world and the captivating, magical world of Faerie intersect. But from the moment Dana sets foot in Avalon, everything goes wrong, for it turns out she isn't just an ordinary teenage girl—she's a Faeriewalker, a rare individual who can travel between both worlds, and the only person who can bring magic into the human world and technology into Faerie. Soon, Dana finds herself tangled up in a cutthroat game of Fae politics. Someone's trying to kill her, and everyone seems to want something from her, from her newfound friends and family to Ethan, the hot Fae guy Dana figures she’ll never have a chance with… until she does.  Caught between two worlds, Dana isn’t sure where she’ll ever fit in and who can be trusted, not to mention if her world will ever be normal again…

My Reveries and Ramblings:  Glimmerglass was entertaining.  Dana runs away from home to Avalon, where her faerie father lives.  When she arrives, she is kidnapped by her aunt.  Following is a whole string of kidnappings, attacks, and betrayals.  They all have to do with the fact that Dana is a faeriewalker which means that she’s either wanted to be used or wanted dead.  Ethan and Kimber, faerie siblings, befriend Dana.  Well, Ethan wants to be more than just friends.  Then there is also Keane, Dana’s “bad boy” self defense coach. 
       I enjoyed reading this book.  It’s not very long, but I was still absorbed in the world.   There were a few things that bothered me.  Although, none had to do with the writing-it was very well thought out.  Many of them revolved around Ethan.  I have such mixed feelings about him.  I hated what he did to Dana (twice!) in the beginning.  I wouldn’t trust him
again.  But then what he did at the end kind of made up for his actions earlier-but still.  I like Keane so much better.  I actually hope she ends up with him. 
       Dana annoyed me with her stubbornness.  First of all, her father is trying to help and protect her-she ran away so she didn’t have to act like the only adult in the family.  So why is she just ignoring her father’s wishes?  He wants her to stay put so she’s protected and what does she do? She runs away when there are faeries who want her dead...smart.   I mean, her father definitely did some things that I (and Dana) didn’t like and has some opinions that I ( and Dana) seriously don’t agree with, but still he’s got her best interests at heart.  I think Dana made a bunch of really dumb choices. But, she’s only 16, and making mistakes is all apart of being a teenager.  Those mistakes will influence how she makes her future choices.  Black did a great job writing the voice of a teenager who was forced to grow up too soon. 
       I was drawn into Black’s world of faeries.  There is no way I’m leaving-I will definitely be reading the next book in the series.  I give it 3 Kisses. 



Playlist:



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones



2 comments:

SimplyMe said...

Great Review! I really enjoyed Glimmerglass too.

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Glimmerglass was good! Shadowspell was a great followup too! Still not sure where I stand with Ethan though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...